Weiser provided our family with a Gen 2 Kevo Touch-to-Open™ smart lock to facilitate a review. The verdict is in and we want to share our experience with you. I would assume the most important thing in your life is the protection of your family and belongings and if I’m right, you definitely want to read more about this smart lock. When researching the Kevo Touch-to-Open™ smart lock it had many features that really enticed me to get in installed and test it out.
~ Key Features Of The Kevo 2nd Gen ~
- Easy management of home access for family, friends and guests by sharing electronic keys (eKeys) through the Kevo app developed by UniKey Technologies.
- Two popular finishes, Satin Nickel, and Iron Black.
- A contemporary design for modern and contemporary homes.
- Digital lock notifications and the ability to view lock activity history in the Kevo app.
- A lifetime mechanical and finish warranty, and one-year electronic warranty, plus a dedicated consumer support line.
The biggest feature for our family, outside of its security, is the fact keys are not needed and can be sent to family and friends. What’s the one thing your child usually has in their possession and doesn’t lose? If you said their cell phone, you got it! Using a simple download of the Kevo app, our daughter can literally touch the Kevo Smart lock and enter our home with Bluetooth connectivity. Imagine this scenario – You left on a family trip and you have it in your mind that you forgot to turn something off. What do you do? Well, with Kevo Touch-to-Open™ smart lock, you send a key to a family member or maybe a neighbor to enable their entry. This feature alone allows for so many great options and availability for use that I’m sure you can come up with some of your very own!
This part was an absolute breeze. O.k., it was easier in the fact that we already had an older deadbolt installed, so there was no need to cut a hole in the door. The product does, however, come with a template for you to use with a few tools if you would like to tackle the task yourself. A quick download of the Kevo app, via the app store for ios, or the Google Play store on android will give you detailed and easy to follow installation instructions before pairing it with your device as well. I have a little bit of handyman in me and easily had the Kevo Touch-to-Open™ smart lock installed and operational in 20 minutes or less.
Weiser provided me with the below information to showcase the wide range of smart home products that will help to create a smarter home as unique as the homeowners themselves.
For energy-conscious homeowners:
- Nest Learning Thermostat: Trigger home temperature adjustments and energy savings with Nest Learning Thermostat by locking or unlocking Kevo.
- Honeywell Total Connect Comfort Wi-Fi Thermostats: Seamlessly connect Kevo to compatible Honeywell thermostats to enable greater energy-saving potential with each lock or unlock of Kevo.
For homeowners who want to secure and control the entire entryway:
- Ring Video Doorbell: Sync Ring and Kevo to see and speak with guests at the front door via the Ring app, then unlock Kevo, all from a smartphone.
- SkyBell HD Doorbell: Kevo is the first smart lock to directly integrate with SkyBell, allowing homeowners to unlock the door for guests direct from the SkyBell app.
For voice control:
- Kevo Smart Home Skill for Alexa:Ask Alexa to check if the door is locked or unlocked, ask Alexa to lock the door and ask Alexa to unlock the door; all available to Kevo users with an Alexa-enabled device and Kevo Plus (sold separately)
For the smart home enthusiast:
- IFTTT:Available applets on IFTTT that trigger actions with other smart home devices in the home upon locking or unlocking Kevo.
- Apple Watch:Receive notifications when Kevo is locked or unlocked directly to a paired Apple Watch.
For convenience on the go:
- Android Wear: Leave your phone at home, and lock or unlock Kevo directly from an untethered Android Wear device, like the Moto360 smart watch.
After using the product for roughly a month, this is my findings. In my opinion it was an easy to moderate product install with a quick application download and setup. Having the device on my person with bluetooth enabled, a touch of the product to open actually worked much smoother than the standard lock I removed. I was very impressed with the form of instructions, straight from the app, as well as the parts provided for different door applications. I can install it on each family members device within our home and they can have a key stored for backup. Sending an email is all it takes to drop a key to someone in seconds from anywhere you have the ability to do so.
On top of the ease of access and all of the compatibility options, I can see when the door was unlocked and by whom from within the application. Weiser is no stranger to entryway security and with this being the 2nd generation, they listened to consumers of the 1st to make some fantastic innovative changes and added styling. Weiser also includes their SmartKeyTM re-key technology that allows homeowners to securely re-key their own locks in seconds. In the beginning, I had a little bit of a learning curve, but have since gotten used to how it operates best. Would I recommend it? I definitely would! See what more that Weiser has to offer and follow their social media channels below.